The Love of God
God’s love at the cross is Unstoppable, Unbeatable, Unlimited. Nothing can separate us from it. The victory of the cross is a certainty.
Communion time is A LOVE FEAST (Jude 1:12).
- It’s a time we can meditate on GOD’S LOVE.
- HIS LOVE shown for us in Christ at the cross…
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
(V. 35) Who shall separate us?
WHO can stop God’s love?
- NO ONE can
- NOTHING can
Let the devil throw it all at us.
It cannot stop God’s love shining through.
Let the devil send…
- PRESSURE and TROUBLE
- DISTRESS and DANGER
It’s NOT going to STOP the love of God.
God’s love is UNSTOPPABLE. Relentless.
- God’s love is STRONG enough TO COME THROUGH FOR US.
- God’s love CAN WEATHER THE STORM.
God’s love is ABLE TO BRAVE THE WORST
- The hardest HURT
- The heaviest WEIGHT
- The strongest OPPOSITION
- The toughest TRIAL.
His love is UNSTOPPABLE.
- We know HE WILL SEE US THROUGH – with His love.
- God’s love WILL HOLD YOU CLOSE.
A preacher from Uganda tells of the 1973 execution by firing squad of three men…
February 10 began as a sad day… People were commanded to come to the stadium and witness the execution.
Death permeated the atmosphere. A silent crowd of about three thousand was there to watch. I had permission from the authorities to speak to the men before they died, and two of my fellow ministers were with me.
They brought the men in a truck and unloaded them. They were handcuffed and their feet were chained. The firing squad stood at attention. As we walked into the center of the stadium, I was wondering what to say. How do you give the gospel to doomed men who are probably seething with rage?
We approached them from behind, and as they turned to look at us, what a sight! Their faces were all alight with an unmistakable glow and radiance.
Before we could say anything, one of them burst out: “Thank you for coming! I wanted to tell you. The day I was arrested, in my prison cell, I asked the Lord Jesus to come into my heart. He came in and forgave me all my sins! Heaven is now open, and there is nothing between me and my God! Please tell my wife and children that I am going to be with Jesus. Ask them to accept him into their lives as I did.”
The other two men told similar stories, excitedly raising their hands which rattled their handcuffs.
I felt that what I needed to do was to talk to the soldiers, not to the condemned. So I translated what the men had said into a language the soldiers understood. The military men were standing there with guns ready and bewilderment on their faces.
They were so dumbfounded that they forgot to put the hoods over the men’s faces! The three faced the firing squad standing close together. They looked toward the people and began to wave, handcuffs and all. The people waved back. Then shots were fired, and the three were with Jesus.
We stood in front of them, our own hearts throbbing with joy, mingled with tears. It was a day never to be forgotten. Though dead, the men spoke loudly to all of Kigezi District and beyond, so that there was an upsurge of life in Christ, which challenges death and defeats it.
The next Sunday, I was preaching to a huge crowd in the hometown of one of the executed men. Again, the feel of death was over the congregation.
But when I gave them the testimony of their man, and how he died, there erupted a great song of praise to Jesus! Many turned to the Lord there. (Ray Stamps, Los Gatos, California. Leadership, Vol. 6)
Who shall separate us?
God’s Love… It’s UNSTOPPABLE Love… Not even death can separate us from it.
Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
Nothing can beat the love of God.
- God’s love will CONQUER – in every situation.
- We will get the VICTORY – at the highest possible level.
IN ALL these things.
- He helps us in the MESS to still BLESS His name
- He helps us in the TEST to learn to REST in Him
- He helps us in the CRISIS to see the CHRIST
- He is IN us, WITH us, and FOR us.
Through Christ and His all-conquering love we have a COMPLETE and UTTER VICTORY.
He has won ABSOLUTE VICTORY over whatever you face.
- Over every TEMPTATION
- Over SIN AND GUILT
- Over all THE TROUBLES OF LIFE
- Over your SETBACKS and STRUGGLES
In all these things we are more than conquerors.
YOU are A WINNER.
- The hosts of hell are vanquished because of Calvary.
- The devil is a loser.
- In Christ we have got a tremendous victory.
1 Corinthians 15:55-57
(55) O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
(56) The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
(57) But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
In all these things we’re more than conquerors – THROUGH HIM THAT LOVED US.
The devil is defeated at Calvary.
- I like to think of him looking like our little dog, “Rusty” when he knows he’s been naughty.
- The devil is like a whimpering dog, with his tail between his legs.
We’re more than a conqueror – You are more than a conqueror – through God’s great love.
Christ has triumphed over death and hell.
You have… VICTORY today.
- Victory over THE STING OF DEATH.
- Victory – even over THE GRAVE ITSELF.
It’s Unstoppable Love – Who shall separate us from it?
NOTHING can stop His Love.
But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
- Christ can FORGIVE and CLEANSE the WORST STAIN OF SIN.
- God’s love is GREATER than all your sin.
- God’s love is BIG ENOUGH to forgive your DARKEST, DEEPEST SIN.
- God’s love is EXTENDED to the MOST SINFUL.
- God’s love is WIDE ENOUGH to INCLUDE YOU.
It’s UNSTOPPABLE Love.
It’s UNBEATABLE Love – In all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
(38) For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
(39) Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- God’s love is UNFAILING
We can be PERSUADED – ABSOLUTELY SURE – CONFIDENT in His sure love for us.
- There’s a CERTAINTY
- A SURETY
- A perfect CONFIDENCE and PEACE
- A precious promise of SALVATION.
His love reaches out, to the heights and to the depths.
To the uttermost.
- No POWER, no PERSON – can limit the POWER of His love.
- No thing, now or later, can hinder the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
It is UNLIMITED love
- DEATH can’t limit it
- ANGELS can’t limit it
- PRINCIPALITIES and POWERS
- THINGS PRESENT – nor THINGS TO COME
- Nor ANY OTHER CREATURE can limit His love and separate us from it.
A theologian, Karl Barth, was invited to lecture at a seminary, and while he was there a group of different ministers and theologians and dignitaries sat down with him in a discussion period.
Someone asked the question, “What is the most profound thought that you know, Dr. Barth?”
This is what he said: “Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so.”
If there’s one thing we need to know…
God’s wonderful love in Christ at the cross is the most precious joy – the greatest, most precious truth.
We can have total confidence and faith that God will do what He says.
- We can trust His WORD.
- We can know His HAND holds us and treasures us.
- His PRESENCE goes with us
…and IT’S ALL BECAUSE OF CALVARY.
To this table we come, to remind our hearts of His love.
The Bible is full of symbols.
Flags today have rich symbolism behind them.
So too, this bread has a tremendous symbolic significance.
- THE BREAD – simple food – it nourishes us
- THE CUP – the fruit of the vine – it sustains and refreshes us
Most of all it reminds us of God’s love.
It prompts us to think of how the grace of God reaches down into the prison-house of sin and despair.
God’s love brings salvation to the unworthy – to those lost in shame and guilt.
(17) That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
(18) May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
(19) And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.