The Precious Blood (Communion)
It’s been called the most important subject of the Bible. Jesus is precious. The Bible bleeds the blood. His blood is precious.
It has been called the most important subject of the Bible.
THE PRECIOUS BLOOD OF CHRIST.
Peter talks of PRECIOUS things.
He tells of this precious book we can hold in our hands, it is truly precious…
Jam packed with exceeding great and precious promises…
2 Peter 1:4
Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
It is a book that bleeds blood. A blood stained book – that shows us the way our stain of sin can be cleansed.
It’s been said that: ‘The blood of Christ keeps Christianity alive. Someone has said, “Cut the Bible anywhere and it will bleed.”
‘The blood is spoken of 427 times in our Bible, so it is easy to see, this is not a minor theme. Without the blood, the Gospel is dead and we are deprived of eternal life.’
Peter tells of ONE who is precious… It’s how He is, what He is…
He says, to you which believe, He is precious…
1 Peter 2:7
Unto you therefore which believe HE IS PRECIOUS: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
This ONE is the bleeding and dying one. The lamb that was slain – killed.
At Pentecost Peter preached of this same ONE…
(23) Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
(24) Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
Peter tells of precious things.
A precious book.
A precious Saviour.
And Peter writes of the precious blood of Christ.
1 Peter 1:18-21
(18) Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
(19) But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
(20) Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
(21) Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.
THE PRECIOUS BLOOD OF CHRIST.
Peter saw that blood as it fell to the ground. He saw the bleeding lamb. The lamb of God slain. He saw the precious blood.
Precious – beyond price…
It is precious because it gives…
You are alive because of blood. It is essential.
For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.
It is precious because it…
Fits us for Heaven
I am not qualified to do brain surgery or drill teeth or fly an airplane or fix your car. I am not qualified to play for the Crows or Manchester United.
I am not qualified to do a lot of things.
But I am qualified to go to Heaven because of the blood of Jesus Christ! You too can know this saving power of the precious blood.
(Above section quoted/adapted)
And in Heaven we will be singing of the Lamb slain…
Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.
It is precious because it has…
It has full cleansing power…
1 John 1:7
The Blood of Jesus Christ cleanseth us from all sin .
The precious blood cleanses us from sin and removes it FOREVER. He promised not to remember our sins again. His cleansing is forever.
And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
The blood is precious because it gives us OPEN ACCESS.
As our Lord cried out “It is finished” the veil was torn from top to bottom.
I wonder what it would have sounded like? That curtain tearing… Can’t you hear it rip wide open?
(19) Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
(20) By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
(21) And having an high priest over the house of God; (22) Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
The Blood is precious because it effects…
Pilate said, “I find in him no fault at all.” John 18:38 . He was the perfect one who died in our place. The faultless one had to stand in your place, carry your cross, bear your guilt, and shoulder your shame. And shed His precious blood for you.
His blood was shed for you.
2 Corinthians 5:20-21
(20) Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God.
(21) For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
His Blood is precious because it sets us FREE.
For the children of Israel to be safe from God’s judgment – for them to set free from Egypt’s bondage, the blood had to be applied to the doors and lintels of their homes.
The lamb had to be killed and the blood shed. And the blood had to be applied.
Many years ago, A.J. Gordon was a pastor in Boston. One day he saw a young boy in front of the church. The boy was carrying a rusty cage that held several, very nervous, birds.
Pastor Gordon asked, “Son, where did you get those birds?” — The boy replied, “I trapped them out in the field.”
“What are you going to do with them?” –
“I’m going to play with them. And then I guess I’ll just feed them to an old cat we have at home.”
When the preacher offered to buy them, the boy said, “Mister, you don’t want them. They’re just little old wild birds and can’t sing very well.”
But Pastor Gordon replied, “I’ll give you $2 for the cage and the birds.”
“Okay, it’s a deal, but you’re making a bad bargain.”
The exchange was made and the boy went away whistling. Pastor Gordon walked around to the back of the church, opened the door of the small cage, and let the struggling birds fly into the blue sky.
The next Sunday he took the empty cage into the pulpit and used it to illustrate his sermon about Jesus coming to seek and to save the lost. He talked about Jesus paying for the lost with His own precious blood. And then Pastor Gordon said, “That boy told me the birds were not singers. But when I released them and they winged their way toward heaven, it seemed to me they were singing, ‘Redeemed, redeemed, redeemed!’”
Can you sing, Redeemed here today?
Is the precious blood applied?
This Book is precious
To you that believe – He is precious
And we can know the precious blood of Christ.