For Such A Time as This
Esther bravely took her stand in a time of crisis. This present time calls for God’s people to stand up. What will we do, in such a time as this?
Mordecai’s words to his cousin, Esther…
…who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS?
Mordecai thought Esther had come to the throne FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS.
What kind of time was it?
What of the Leadership of this time…
The leadership of the nation was selfish, wicked and immoral.
Proverbs 29:2 says
When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
Who are the leaders of today?
Our sports heroes, our entertainers and celebrities, and our politicians…
What kind of role-models are they for the next generation?
We are led by media and educators who are setting the agenda, the the morals and philosophies of our nation – they are shaping the hearts and minds of our young people.
What of the culture of this time?
It was a time of worldly pomp and show
(3) In the third year of his reign, he made a feast unto all his princes and his servants; the power of Persia and Media, the nobles and princes of the provinces, being before him:
(4) When he shewed the riches of his glorious kingdom and the honour of his excellent majesty many days, even an hundred and fourscore days.
(5) And when these days were expired, the king made a feast unto all the people that were present in Shushan the palace, both unto great and small, seven days, in the court of the garden of the king’s palace;
(6) Where were white, green, and blue, hangings, fastened with cords of fine linen and purple to silver rings and pillars of marble: the beds were of gold and silver, upon a pavement of red, and blue, and white, and black, marble.
The leaders of 127 provinces recklessly took 6 months vacation for wickedness and sin.
They neglected the nation, its welfare, and their own homes.
Australia is likewise neglecting righteousness.
I wonder if we are aware of the danger of rebellion against God?
For Aussies the secular agendas seem to consume people’s time and energy and people give little thought for God, and the things that please God.
The influence of Christianity is ever more limited within schools. Homosexuality is paraded as a civil rights issue instead of sin, and the murder of innocent babies is legalised and funded by our taxes.
2 Timothy 3:1-5
(1) This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
(2) For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
(3) Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
(4) Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
(5) Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
Sadly, our beloved nation is headed on a crash course to its destruction. And the brakes have failed.
The Bible says you reap what you sow. And we are witnessing today the seeds of wickedness are producing a bumper crop. Lawlessness, crime, drugs, suicide, hopelessness…
Sin seems to be escalating in intensity and pervasiveness, with a snowball effect that is picking up the pace…
It’s as if we are in the midst of a culture war…
We’ve got smart phones and dumb people.
We are living in the midst of a relatively godless society. And our society is filled with people with hardened hearts and consciences…
We have sadly become a nation that calls evil good, and good evil. Everything has been redefined…
(13) Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
(14) For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Perversion, and degeneracy abounds. And it has been repackaged and relabelled.
What once was called abomination is now called gay. What was once called adultery is now called having an affair. Sounds so much more comfortable…
Australia is become a perverted nation. A polluted nation. And the Greenies are the worst polluters of all…
As a society we’ve become desensitised to wickedness and degeneration. When there is no God to answer to in a person’s worldview there is no truth, no sin, no moral code, no morals.
The mockers of God have all the air play and the popular vote.
The slide into oblivion is accelerating.
For such a time as this…
We are in days alike to the time of feasting in Daniel’s day, where the king and his drunken mob of nobles were toasting his success, with the stolen holy vessels from God’s temple… The handwriting is on the wall…
In Esther’s time, it was a time of strong drink in the nation.
(7) And they gave them drink in vessels of gold, (the vessels being diverse one from another,) and royal wine in abundance, according to the state of the king.
(8) And the drinking was according to the law; none did compel: for so the king had appointed to all the officers of his house, that they should do according to every man’s pleasure.
Australia today is a beer-soaked nation.
I don’t think we fully appreciate the great evil of drunkenness…
It leads to violence and mayhem.
It destroys homes and people.
It damages and destroys everything in its path.
We are becoming a nation of drunkards and alcoholics.
Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.
(29) Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?
(30) They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.
(31) Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
(32) At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. (33) Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.
(34) Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.
(35) They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.
Many see the danger but they persist in drunkenness.
It was a time of immodesty and debauchery.
In Esther 1 and 2 the King demanded Vashti the Queen to come before the leaders of 127 provinces and show her off before them.
(10) On the seventh day, when the heart of the king was merry with wine, he commanded Mehuman, Biztha, Harbona, Bigtha, and Abagtha, Zethar, and Carcas, the seven chamberlains that served in the presence of Ahasuerus the king,
(11) To bring Vashti the queen before the king with the crown royal, to shew the people and the princes her beauty: for she was fair to look on.
At least it appears that the Queen had the moral courage to dare to do right!
1 Timothy 2:9
… that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array.
The Bible certainly commends godly standards that reflect our heart’s desire to please the Lord. It commends this to us, to our young me and women…
What of us, today? Will we have the moral fibre that we need in these testing times? Will we dare to shun the wicked pleasures of the world?
It was a time of moral decline.
It sounds like the times of Esther were a lot like the situation in…
In those days there was no king in Israel, but every man did that which was right in his own eyes.
In Esther’s time there was a king.
But there was no godly authority here. It was a godless time…
People disregarded God and the things of God.
In Esther’s time we notice that there was a disregard for the sanctity of marriage.
The King in Esther’s day was willing to get rid of the Queen for no fault of hers.
If it please the king, let there go a royal commandment from him, and let it be written among the laws of the Persians and the Medes, that it be not altered, That Vashti come no more before king Ahasuerus; and let the king give her royal estate unto another that is better than she.
The home is under attack in our time, in such a time as this.
The dishonouring of parents is the norm, in the media and in the home.
Where are the godly mothers and fathers who will rise up in such a time as this?
Now one of every two marriages end in divorce.
(4) And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
(5) And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
(6) Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
Charisma Magazine (3-27-13) reports “ that Americans overwhelmingly believe morals and values are declining in the U.S. (77 percent). The most-cited cause for the decline is a lack of Bible reading.”
On the home front we are seeing an onslaught against families. There is a Lack of discipline in homes. Families are under great stress.
Where will we turn for the answers we need about life and marriage?
We must turn to God, the designer of marriage.
Australia has lost its moral moorings. Its moral compass.
The nation in Esther’s day treated human life as cheap. The leaders were willing to sign a decree to have 2 million Jews killed, because one of them would not bow and tip his hat to the wicked Haman, a wicked scoundrel.
He plotted against Mordecai and the Jews.
Life today is cheap.
We see ever increasing lawlessness and hatred. And life is cheap. Abortion is just getting rid of an unwanted inconvenience.
For such a time as this the question is, where are God’s people?
What of God’s people?
What will they do?
For such a time as this.
It was a time that needed the good woman Esther to step up.
Esther acted with faith and courage.
Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.
Her silence would have been sin.
She found herself in a responsible position and she did what she was able to do.
The TIME we are living in calls for God’s people to stand up – and take leadership.
For such a time as this, is a time of…
It is the time…
To stand up…
- In the nation
- In business
- In education
- In the home.
Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.
Sin brings shame and misery. Cut it loose.
The late General Douglas MacArthur has said: ‘In this day of gathering storms, as moral deterioration of political power spreads its growing infection, it is essential that every spiritual force be mobilized to defend and preserve the religious base upon which this nation is founded; for it has been that base which has been the motivating impulse to our moral and national growth.
‘History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual reawakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.’
What some people think is liberty – is really enslavement
(21) Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
(22) Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.
In these times in which we live we are witnessing a rise in anti-Christian movements…
And where is the professing church today? Sadly it seems ever more astray from godly truth…
1 Peter 4:17
For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?
In 1520, Martin Luther wrote an essay which he called “THE BABYLONIAN CAPTIVITY OF THE CHURCH.” What he meant was that forces and powers that were foreign to Christ and to his word had captured the mind and heart of the church. She was in bondage to godless forces.
That is the situation in much of the church today. Millions of church-goers today think the way the world thinks.
The simple assumptions that govern behavior and choices come more from what is absorbed from our culture than from the word of God.
The church shares the love affair of the world with prosperity and ease and self. Many groups of Christians are just not that different from the spirit of Babylon, even though the Lord says that we are aliens and exiles and that we are not to be conformed to this age. So, like Israel of old, much of God’s church today is captive to godless forces.
All about us we see a rise in…
Christianity is routinely mocked and outright rejected by Hollywood and in the popular media. And in its place is the propagation of evil.
As it says in the scriptures, Truth is fallen in the street (Isa. 59:14).
Where are God’s people, in such a time as this?
The truth of the Gospel is being ever diminished by false teachers.
We are witnessing the rise of false Christianity as popular and as suits the majority. It is a Christianity that does not confront the culture, but is ever more CONFORMED to the culture.
There are broken down altars, as it were, and an abundance of idols that replace God’s rightful place.
The idols are everywhere…
1 Chronicles 16:26
For all the gods of the people are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
For such a time like this we need to act as did Elijah, and repair the altar of the Lord that is broken down!
Where are God’s people, in such a time as this?
- Largely drifting
- Apathy prevails among believers
- Complacency amongst believers is a huge problem
- Consciences are dullened
- We have rejected His Lordship as a nation
- We have committed the sin of backsliding
It seems lie many professing Christians are become very carnal, and lukewarm. They have lost their fire. They have lost the zeal. The love of the scriptures. The love of the brethren; of faithfulness in fellowship and service.
We are witnessing a great compromise of the times. And in these days some are thinking let’s just move with the times… Let’s refashion the truth…
Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:
All around us cultural decay abounds.
Truth decay… Like it’s been said, to prevent tooth decay read your Bible…
Adelaide is no longer truly the city of churches.
The church has been weakened.
We need women like Esther.
We need valiant men.
The counterfeit must be withstood and rejected, out of hand. We must rise up and speak up…
Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew my people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins.
We must reject error.
Error is like leaven of which we read,
“A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.”
Truth mixed with error is equivalent to all error, except that it is more innocent looking and, therefore, more dangerous. God hates such a mixture!
Any error, or any truth-and-error mixture, calls for definite exposure and repudiation. To condone such is to be unfaithful to God and His Word and treacherous to imperiled souls for whom Christ died. (Harry Ironside)
We need a quickening of faith.
We need revival.
Billy Sunday: What is a revival? Now listen to me. A revival does two things. First, it returns the Church from her backsliding and second, it causes the conversion of men and women; and it always includes the conviction of sin on the part of the Church.
Such a time as this calls for courage.
O, that we would fervently seek after God.
God has you…
…FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS.
God raised up Esther, and used her for His glory and for the saving of the people of God.
In our own day we need men and women with conviction, courage and character
Who will we honour and follow?
Will it be the false gods of this world, or the true and living God?
The modern church has lost its voice of authority because it has left the authority of the Scriptures.
Some will dare to deny the absolute, final and infallible authority of the Bible
2 Timothy 4:3-4
(3) For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
(4) And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
These are the times we are living in.
Spiritual poison is everywhere.
Many Christians woefully lack discernment.
For such a time as this…
We must get back to the Bible.
Love the Word
Meditate upon it
Let it saturate your mind and fill your heart with its hope and its promises.
The Bible says,
“He sent his Word and healed them.”
The Word brings healing.
Maybe we are so sick spiritually because we have lost the Word…
It’s as if some act a bit like Jehudi in Jeremiah 36:23. He was wrongly dividing the Word, cutting out bits with his penknife. The NIV has over 64000 missing words. The devil has got his penknife out and cut a lot out of some people’s bibles…
Imagine going down to the local dealership and you are offered a car with 64000 pieces missing from it? Would you have confidence in a car like that? I would tell that car dealer that I’d rather have the proven model with all of the parts in place, thank you!
We must get back to the Bible.
When we are honestly searching for the answers to the complexities of life…
Let us ask…
What does the Bible say?
Let us hear what Jesus says.
The Bible will give you victory.
For such a time as this we need…
People who will stand true to the faith.
Don’t touch the unclean thing
For such a time as this we need godly churches…
Be rid of the leaven
Clean out the filth
Let go of unbelief
Hold fast the faithful word.
We need the “foolishness of preaching”, we need a fresh conviction of sin, and we especially need solid Bible teaching
We must not bow to pressure. We must not deviate. We must hold our course.
This Word is the only way people can be saved. “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God” (Rom. 10:17).
Will you be an Esther?
You have an influence.
You are an ambassador.
A representative of a Royal Power with exceeding authority.
“For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.”
Make sure you identify with the right crowd.
Be like Esther.
Thanks to her courage God’s people were saved. And God’s enemy was destroyed.
Make your voice heard.
Australia is morally and spiritually sick.
It is a Hell bound nation.
The wrath of God is about to fall upon us as a people.
For such a time as this…
The true church must rise up.
Are you a pilgrim, or a compromiser like Lot, who pitched his tent towards Sodom.
Are you under the domination of sin’s destructive power
We desperately need…
Men and women who will be faithful to God
For the glory of His name…
What truly matters in this life?
Do we really know?
Death is inevitable
It is the care of the soul that is the one thing needful.
Will you be true to God?
I urge you to hold firm to your convictions.
Seize the opportunity
To the women I say, be an Esther.
To the men I say,
1 Kings 2:2
Be thou strong therefore, and shew thyself a man