Workers For Harvest: Work for God
(35) And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.
(36) But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.
(37) Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few;
(38) PRAY YE THEREFORE THE LORD OF THE HARVEST, THAT HE WILL SEND FORTH LABOURERS INTO HIS HARVEST.
A multitude were before Him.
And He says,
Do we SEE the harvest, THROUGH HIS EYES…?
Many are UNCONCERNED.
At another place we read,
Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.
The harvest is abundant.
It is plentiful.
The fields are ripe.
The harvest is ready.
It is waiting.
We are 2,000 years later, the fields are still ripe, the harvest is still waiting, and those fields still aren’t going to harvest themselves.
The harvest is great as many are without Christ.
The problem is the labourers are few.
We are called to pray.
He has commanded us to pray.
That God will send forth labourers.
This word, send, has a forcible sense to it.
It is a violent word, the basis for the English word ballistic.
The Lord of the Harvest is looking for workers.
There are VACANCIES in God’s workforce today.
There are NOT SUFFICIENT WORKERS.
God wants LABOURERS.
There are a number of parables that speak of being active in God’s service, as labourers in a vineyard…
Our Lord tells of a man looking for workers… The master, the Lord of the Vineyard…
And he went out… and saw others standing idle in the marketplace.
Some are idle in the marketplace while there is yet work to do…
He says to the, Go YE into the vineyard…
God has A WORK FOR EACH OF US to do…
We were CREATED for work…
It’s a part of God’s purpose in designing us…
For WE ARE HIS WORKMANSHIP, created in Christ Jesus UNTO GOOD WORKS, which God hath before ordained THAT WE SHOULD WALK IN THEM.
God calls us to HAVE A MIND TO WORK…
So built we the wall; and all the wall was joined together unto the half thereof: for THE PEOPLE HAD A MIND TO WORK.
How does God want us to work?
God calls us TO WORK HARD…
Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; SERVING THE LORD.
Work with zeal and enthusiasm.
And whatsoever ye do, DO IT HEARTILY, AS TO THE LORD, AND NOT UNTO MEN.
GET BUSY for the kingdom of God.
We are called to be WORKERS TOGETHER WITH GOD.
He works alongside us.
We are co-workers with God.
1 Corinthians 3:9
FOR WE ARE LABOURERS TOGETHER WITH GOD…
He beckons us to the work.
He harnesses together with us.
He works with us.
(28) Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
(29) Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
(30) For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
GOD WORKS IN US.
(12) Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
(13) For IT IS GOD WHICH WORKETH IN YOU BOTH TO WILL AND TO DO OF HIS GOOD PLEASURE.
We are called to be WORKERS UNASHAMED AND APPROVED
2 Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, A WORKMAN THAT NEEDETH NOT TO BE ASHAMED, rightly dividing the word of truth.
We are called to be WORKERS EMPOWERED BY GOD
(20) Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, ACCORDING TO THE POWER THAT WORKETH IN US,
(21) Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.
The work we are called to IS TO THE GLORY OF GOD
1 Corinthians 15:58
Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, ALWAYS ABOUNDING IN THE WORK OF THE LORD, forasmuch as ye know that YOUR LABOUR IS NOT IN VAIN IN THE LORD.
I urge you each one, to roll up your sleeves and find something to do for God.
BE A USEFUL CHRISTIAN.
Some workers will be slow and steady.
Some will be more active and energetic.
It takes all types.
All of us have a duty to fulfil.
And, at the end of earth’s day…
Every man’s work will be ASSESSED…
1 Corinthians 3:13
Every man’s work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is.
I challenge you today…
DELIGHT to DO HIS WILL.
Find a work to do for God and do it with all thy might.
Work for the welfare of man.
Work for the glory of God.
Work, don’t shirk.
God is still at work.
Working on me, in me, through me…
Do business with God tonight.
The work that matters is the work of faith.
This is the starting point. God cannot use you unless you are truly saved.
(28) Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
(29) Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.